I was doing some reading today about protein skimmers for marine tanks, and came across this aricle from the bailey brothers on bio-wheel filters. I really wanted one for my tank, but I could never really justify purchasing a new filter, when my old one really works just fine.
This article basically explains that the beneficial bacteria in your tank requires oxygen. Most water has only 7 ppm oxygen. This means the bacteria have to fight go grow and thrive with just a few particles of air. The bio-wheel filter rotates in and out of water allowing the bacteria to gain oxygen from the air which is at 200,000 ppm oxygen.
This really appeals to me because I need to build up the beneficial bacteria as fast as possible or I will be doing 50% water changes every day for this whole month.
I love how math explains everything.
Source: AquariumFish.net
No comments:
Post a Comment