Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fishkeeping: Day 9, Part 2 (video)



(Continued from part 1) After the kids went to bed, I picked up the testing kit from my neighbors and got the latest numbers.

pH = 7.2
Ammonia = 1.0 mg/l
Nitrite = 0.0 mg/l
Nitrate = 5.0 mg/l

The pH was a little high, but not really a cause for much concern. The Ammonia was spiking as expected with a new tank with fish and no real biological filter setup yet. I'm going to put some pH 7.0 in the tank, and keep checking it nightly. After a week I should see the Ammonia numbers go down, and the Nitrite numbers start to rise.

We have a trip to New York planned this weekend, so I will probably plan on doing a PWC (aka partial water change) before we leave to make sure that the ammo (ammonia) and NO2- (nitrite) levels don't get to high while were gone.



No comments:

Post a Comment